Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

December 18, 2007

I hope you are getting a chance to enjoy the Holiday season. It is easy to get so busy that we forget what the holidays are all about. We may disagree on political issues, but we should be able to agree to peace on earth and goodwill toward men (and women). Happy Holidays from me and mine to you and yours.


It was eye opening for me to go without power for a few hours this past week. I am one miserable son of a gun when I have work to do and cannot get to it! Just as it is easy to lose sight of the meanings of the holidays, it is easy to take electric power for granted! Kudos to Mid American for getting the juice back on so quickly!


I was one of several locals who had the privilege of appearing in a State Department video on the Iowa Caucuses. The video talks about the importance of Iowa in the political process, with a focus on the Hamburg Inn. It is pretty well done, and the video can be viewed in several different languages! If you are interested, here is the link:
http://usinfo.state.gov/usinfo/USINFO/Products/Videos.html


I have been watching with interest the Downtown Market Survey undertaken by Iowa City. You may have seen some letters to the editor critical of spending $62,000 on an outside consultant. I have a few thoughts on the topic. (Imagine that!)

For starters, let's give the Council some credit for trying. Downtown Iowa City has changed quite a bit in ten years, probably not all for the better. But it isn't the fault of this or any previous Council that things have changed. I appreciate the fact that the Council recognizes the importance of and possibilities for downtown. That they were willing to do a study is a good thing.

Was the $62,000 money well spent? It is hard to say. There were two recommendations that I found quite curious. First, the idea that downtown Iowa City somehow lacks "branding." I speak to people from all over this state. I GUARANTEE you downtown Iowa City has a brand. It may not be the image we want, but downtown IC is branded. Booze, the arts, booze, books, booze, restaurants, booze, colorful people. That is downtown Iowa City to the rest of Iowa. And 90% of Iowans see downtown IC that way. Again, it may or may not be the image you like, but there is no question that downtown IC is branded. The fact that the consultants felt otherwise leads me to question their credibility.

Secondly, the consultants recommended a manager for downtown, noting, "Coral Ridge would never try to operate without a manager." I have trouble with this analogy. Coral Ridge is completely owned by General Growth. They can pick and choose where specific stores go, and they can control which tenants come and go. The mall is similar to a property manager overseeing an apartment complex. Downtown is more like my neighborhood. I do not own my neighbor's property; therefore, I cannot control what happens there. My neighbor may or may not agree with my vision. There is nothing to "manage," per se; downtown property owners either play along, or they don't.

I have long felt that one of the greatest threats faced by Iowa City is absentee property ownership. Whether it is a house, a mall, or a downtown building, local owners have a greater investment in the community, and face far more pressures to do things right. Unless Iowa City wants to begin buying downtown buildings ­ and I doubt they do ­ they will always be somewhat at the mercy of absentee owners.

Let's hope downtown Iowa City gets some helpful advice out of this process. It remains a wonderful place, and I root for it to get even better.


We have all had that sense of melancholy that comes when we realize something is gone for good. The feeling can arise from the death of a former acquaintance, an old flame who gets married, or a childhood hangout being paved over or meeting the wrecking ball.

Unfortunately, I have this same feeling regarding Hawkeye Men's Basketball. I used to live and die with the Hawks, listening to the exploits of Fred Brown, Bruce King, and Kevin Kunnert on my AM radio. A few years later, every Hawkeye game was on statewide TV, and I never missed a game.

Dad took me to a couple games at the Field House, and those are cherished memories.

Fast forward 30-35 years, and I am simply not willing to make the necessary sacrifices to follow the Hawks. I already pay $45/month for cable TV, and I'll be damned before I'll pony up for the Big Ten Network, ESPNU, and every other farce of a channel one would need to follow the Hawks. Yes, I could go back to the radio, and I sometimes do just that. But 30 years of watching on TV conditions an audience member, and makes it tough to readjust.

Secondly, I can't justify taking my kids. At $25/ticket, it would cost our family $125 just to walk in the door. Add in a $5 soda for each of us, and you are talking $150. Plus, the odd game times make a family outing difficult.

Thirdly, my life has changed. As a bachelor, the Hawks can play a much more prominent role. As the father of three, I am much more likely to watch the games of my children than I am to watch the Hawks.

Finally, and not insignificantly, Steve Alford and Pierre Pierce soured me to a greater degree than I ever thought possible. I quit caring during that era, and I have been slow to come back around. I don't know if I can ever forgive them for what they did to the Hawks.

We never quite know what the future holds. I hope to be fully back in the Hawkeye fold someday. Ironically, just before sending this, I had the opportunity to meet the Lickliters. My spirits have improved; they seem to be very nice folks. Go Hawks!


Watch your inbox next week for the third annual edition of Salvos Salutes! There is no red carpet or after party, but these awards are PRESTIGIOUS!


DID YOU KNOW? 50% of Iowa's farmland is expected to change hands in the next ten years. 25% of Iowa's farmland is owned by people 70 and older. (Source: ISU.)


Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website - http://www.johnson-county.com/.

"Sullivan's Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home