Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

June 8, 2008

Sullivan’s Salvos 6/10/08


Happy Father’s Day to all the dads out there. My own father, stepfather, and two grandfathers have been gone for some time now; I am also the oldest in my family.
It is really odd being the patriarch of the family at age 41. It is not a role I cherish; I miss these men every single day. If you are lucky enough to still have a father figure around, please give him a call and express your appreciation.


Johnson County suffered a terrible tragedy this past week. As you are no doubt aware, a small plane carrying 3 passengers (one a baby) crashed on Tuesday. Despite this awful occurrence, it is worth noting the heroism of local endodontist Lanny Kampfe.
Doctor Kampfe dropped what he was doing and did CPR on the baby until emergency personnel could arrive on the scene. Doctor Kampfe – you are a real life hero! Thanks! Meanwhile, my thoughts and prayers to those the deceased leaves behind.


We need an end to the rain. Yes, as an old farm boy, I am often guilty of being overly critical of the weather. But this situation is growing dire. Homes and businesses are flooded. The crops are already late most places, and in trouble in many other areas. Roads need to dry out. Bridges are under strain. We desperately need some drier weather!
I spoke to Governor Culver late Saturday evening, and I was pleased to hear that he was on his way to Iowa City to take a look for himself. He assured me that Coralville and Iowa City would have access to all necessary State resources.
As of this writing, Iowa City and Coralville both need volunteers to sandbag. To help out, simply report to the areas in need: Edgewater Drive in Coralville, and 1519 S. Gilbert; 1800 & 1805 Stevens Drive; Thatcher & Baculis Mobile Home Parks at 2254 S. Riverside Drive; and Normandy Drive areas in Iowa City. Bring gloves and a shovel if you can. Please forward this information to others who may be interested.


Melissa, BJ, and I sandbagged at Normandy Drive on Saturday. I was there from about 10:30 AM-1:30 PM. Then Sunday, I shoveled at Thatcher Mobile Home Court from about 10-2 and again from 6:30-7:00. I wanted to share a few observations:
First, thanks to Solon, Mount Vernon, and Oxford! Volunteers from those three communities outnumbered volunteers from Iowa City proper.
Secondly, the city employees in the Iowa City Public Works Department have some very impressive skill sets!
Thirdly, I met some of the nicest people I have ever met anywhere! At Normandy, I worked with a doctor, a lawyer, a veterinarian, several grad students, a few laborers, a clerk… people from all walks of life were there pitching in. Men and women, young and old, all races and religions. I got a great sense of community from my time volunteering! On Sunday, Thatcher was a little more heavily weighted toward people who actually live there. As a matter of fact, people at Thatcher were beginning to feel a little neglected. One thing that gave us all a boost is when we were joined by Congressman Loebsack. Dave jumped in and shoveled, and the locals were really pleased. It demonstrated first hand that some people in politics really do care!
Finally, my thoughts and prayers to those affected by flooding. I cannot imagine the frustration you must be feeling. I am thinking of you!


I am honored to be selected as one of three Democratic candidates for the 2008 General Election for Johnson County Supervisor. Your support is very humbling.
No one runs a campaign by her or himself. Thanks to everyone who helped! If I may thank a few people specifically…
My wife Melissa is a wonderful, strong, smart, understanding, and supportive partner. I would be helpless without her. I love you, Honey! Thanks!
My children (Rachel, Jordan, and BJ) have sacrificed and pitched in, and put up with all my election season grumpiness. I love you guys! Thanks!
Gary Smith has dutifully served for 5 years in the thankless role as my campaign treasurer. Thanks, Gary! I appreciate all your help!
Rachel Stewart has served as my Webmaster, and her husband Duncan has volunteered to do just about everything I could ask. Thanks, guys!
Thanks to the Iowa City Federation of Labor, Teamster’s Local 238, AFT Local 716, and IBEW Local 1634. Your endorsements mean a lot!
Finally, everyone who made a call, sent an E-mail, sent a check, put up a sign, stuffed an envelope, and cast a ballot… you know who you are. I appreciate your friendship and support. Thanks!
I promise to do my best to make you proud! PLEASE hold the 3 Democratic nominees accountable! Our job for the next 5 months is to represent the concerns of the Democratic Party; make sure we do so. Now on to the elections in November!


Congratulations to Terrence Neuzil and Pat Harney on their victories Tuesday. I look forward to working with both gentlemen.
Congratulations, too, to Terry Dahms on running a fine race. Terry is a very good and decent man who has served Johnson County very well in several capacities. He also has more than a few good ideas – I hope the new Board will listen up when Terry speaks!


This weekend is Fun Days in North Liberty. For a listing of all the Fun Days events, see http://www.northlibertyiowa.org/fundays/index.htm.


DID YOU KNOW? Tuesday’s turnout was the lowest in a primary since 2002, when only 1,036 Democratic voters turned out. (There were no contested seats in the 2002 Democratic primary.)


Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website-
www.johnson-county.com.

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home