Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

April 5, 2009

Sullivan’s Salvos 4/7/09



Happy 15th birthday to my daughter Jordan on April 8! I do not have the words to describe my feelings toward this wonderful young lady. Every day Jordan makes me more and more proud. I love you, honey!




The big news this past week was the Iowa Supreme Court’s unanimous decision allowing for gay marriage.

I could not be more proud to be an Iowan. I could not be happier for my LGBT friends and their families.

Most Iowans do a pretty good job of following the Golden Rule – Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. This ruling reaffirms that most basic of tenets.




Happy Easter to those of you who celebrate it. I hope everyone has an opportunity this weekend to spend quality time with family and friends.




Congratulations to Andy Johnson of Iowa City, who was recently hired to serve as the Executive Assistant to the Board of Supervisors. Andy has spent the last 5 years as Executive Director of the Housing Trust Fund of Johnson County, and was selected from a tremendously deep and talented pool of candidates.

Andy will begin work May 1st. I am confident that he will do a great job. Please join me in welcoming him to County government!




I attended the community meeting on high schools held at Parkview church, and I came away pleased. I went to a similar meeting a few years ago, and the sides were much more polarized then. This group was very civil, which makes tackling difficult issues much easier.

There are two very interesting things I noted. One change is that the same old battles over the east-west divide no longer rule the day… the north has arrived, and must be taken seriously!

The other thing of note is who is in attendance. I lost my place after awhile, but I was keeping track of the people that spoke. Professor, doctor, professor, lawyer, teacher, nurse, professor, lawyer’s wife… you get the idea. The parents of poor kids were not there. The ICCSD needs to really work to ensure that all voices get heard.

I feel good about things moving forward. There are HUGE issues to address. Decisions MUST be made, not avoided. People WILL be angry. I just hope we can act as a single community dedicated to doing right by all our kids.




As you know, Iowa City was recently awarded the designation of UNESCO City of Literature, only the third city in the world to be so designated.

Edinburgh City of Literature Director Ali Bowden will be part of a program entitled “City of Literature – Prologue – the Vision” Tuesday, April 7 from 5:00-6:30 at the Englert.

Questions and RSVPs can be directed to the Iowa City Coralville Convention and Visitors Bureau at 337-6592.




Shelter House is holding its 7th annual Spring Gala Saturday, April 18 at the Hotel Vetro. Doors open at 5:30, with dinner at 6:30 and a live auction at 7:30. Music will be provided by pianists Maggie Mowery and Benjamin Weideman.

Tickets are $50 each. Call 338-5416 extension #101 for more information.




DID YOU KNOW? Over half of all foreclosures have happened in only 35 counties. (Source: USA Today.)



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website-
www.johnson-county.com.

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home