Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

July 11, 2009

Sullivan’s Salvos 7/14/09



Solon holds the Granddaddy of all summer festivals this weekend as they celebrate the 38th annual Beef Days. I love Beef Days, and I am perversely proud of the fact that I have only missed 2-3 out of those 38.

For more info, or to start your own streak, see: http://beefdays.com/




I will be attending the meeting of the National Association of Counties (NACO) later this month in Davidson County (Nashville), Tennessee.

This will be my fourth NACO convention, and I have found them to be quite good. Twice previously I have been able to bring home an idea that we could implement in Johnson County. Those are pretty good odds!

I look forward to visiting Nashville – it is a place I’ve never been – and I look forward to bringing home additional good ideas.




Some exciting things are happening around the recent designation of Iowa City as a United Nations Educational, Scientific, and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) City of Literature.

As you may recall, Iowa City has joined Edinborough, Scotland and Melbourne, Australia as one of only three World Cities of Literature. In fact, Iowa City is only the second US city to gain UNESCO recognition; Santa Fe, New Mexico has been recognized for Folk Art.

Iowa City has been granted a tremendous honor. Now what? A nonprofit organization has been incorporated to help offer some direction. I have the privilege of serving on this brand-new Board of Directors, along with representatives from the UI, Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty, the Chamber of Commerce, the Convention and Visitors Bureau, and others.

So… do you have ideas? What does it mean to be a UNESCO City of Literature? What should we do now? I welcome your thoughts!




I try not to hate. Hate is a very destructive emotion; it tends to hurt the hate-er more than the hate-ee. Although I fail every day, I try to be a good Christian, and refrain from hating anyone or anything.

Given all that prefacing, I hate Blue Cross/Blue Shield. I have tried to see the world through their eyes, but it just doesn’t work. BCBS is evil. Not individual employees, mind you. Those are just people doing their jobs. But the BCBS corporation is evil.

I am one of tens of thousands of Iowans who are stuck doing business with this evil company. And I am lucky! My family and I have stayed relatively healthy. We have minimized our interactions.

I cannot imagine the suffering that has been caused by this company, which profits from the pain of others. I pray every day that the US Congress will make meaningful changes to the healthcare-industrial complex that runs roughshod over the people of this country. The fact that BCBS does not want reform ought to say it all!

I hope to see the day that my family and I have other reasonable options for our healthcare. Meanwhile, I’ll continue to work on the hating thing.




Much has been written about the recent resignation of Alaska Governor Sarah Palin. I’ll add a prediction to those already in the mix:

I expect the school-aged Palin kids to be enrolled in the Waukee School District for the 2010-11 school year. You heard it here first!




DID YOU KNOW? Johnson County is one of the area’s larger employers, with about 520 full time employees. Employment opportunities are updated regularly on our website - http://www.johnson-county.com.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website-
www.johnson-county.com.

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home