Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

September 1, 2017

Sullivan’s Salvos     9/5/17



In this edition:


*School Board Elections
*Teachers
*Supervisors Are Busy!
*Did You Know?



*School Board Elections
         School Board elections are upon us, and I want to put in a plug for my friend JP Claussen.

         I LOVE JP Claussen! That sounds hyperbolic, and perhaps it is. But I have known JP a long time. He taught two of my kids almost 20 years ago at the Broadway Neighborhood Center. I fell in love with him then, and nothing since then has made me think any less of him.

         JP has worked for the past three years as an educator for the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics. He is also a former president of the Iowa City Education Association. JP is kind, smart, caring, courageous, hard working, and a great listener. I have never seen him do anything other than stand up for those with less.

         JP is also a labor guy – endorsed by the IC Federation of Labor. JP earned this, having spent several years on the ICCSD bargaining team representing the teachers. I am a big believer in the value of organized labor.

         I also support Ruthina Malone for a 4-year term. While I have not known her long, I am impressed by her hard work and persistence. She has followed through at every turn. Ruthina does not suffer fools, and that will serve us well.

         My final vote for a 4-year term goes to Janet Godwin. In addition to working hard, Janet has demonstrated a willingness to reach out that we need in the ICCSD.

         As for the 2-year term: I really like Shawn Eyestone. He is smart, funny, and I think he has the ability to serve the ICCSD well. But I am voting for Charlie Eastham. I have spent years working side4 by side with Charlie on issues of social justice. He is the real deal.

         So please vote, and please vote for JP, Ruthina, Janet, Charlie, and YES on the ICCSD and Kirkwood Bonds!



*Teachers
         I wrote the following piece in May of 2015. Ironically, I wrote it thinking we were done being parents in the ICCSD. Then more foster children came along just a while later and changed our plans!

The piece came to mind again as we gear up for the One Community. One Bond. Vote. My children were blessed with literally scores of GREAT teachers; I tried to say as much in this 2015 selection.

The people I talk about below? They deserve the very best. Our kids deserve the very best. Though it was not written for the purpose of supporting the bond, I hope it motivates you to vote yes! Here it is:

BJ is our baby. Within a few months, we will be empty nesters. It has not sunk in yet, but we are almost finished with our long run in the ICCSD.

         I cannot allow this milestone to pass without acknowledging the amazing, AMAZING teachers that have helped our children along the way!

         I estimate that the kids probably had ~ 100 teachers between the three of them. Then there are the teachers we met throughout the District through serving as foster parents. So we saw a little bit of things everywhere, and a LOT at Hoover, SEJH, and City High.

Not EVERY teacher was excellent – over the years, there were probably 2-3 people who needed to leave the profession. But oh, the other 98%! You were smart, patient, kind, firm, fair, hard working, and you really, truly cared for my kids.

OK, now I am tearing up. It seems almost unfair to name anyone, because I will be leaving others out. But I just cannot help it. So, with apologies to all those wonderful people who also deserve to be mentioned, my greatest appreciation to:

*Ann Allaire: They were so little, so hurt, and so scared. You taught them that school was safe and fun.

*Lorraine Whittington: It is amazing what a young person can do if you challenge them!

*Jeff Kosier: The bark was always worse than the bite!  J

*Pete Muir: Nobody does it better, my friend. You are a legend!

*Jill Harper: My daughter graduated because of you, plain and simple. You made such a monumental difference in her life. Thanks.

*Terry Coleman and Bill McTaggart: Great coaches and better men. What more could a parent want? It was a fun ride!

*Ali Borger-German and Robin Fields: The kids know you care, and they appreciate it. They don’t always show it, but they appreciate it! Keep pushing!

*Carrie Watson: The Pete Muir “Force” lives on, and it lives on in you. Carry that torch!  J

And it was not just teachers. We had great custodians, support staff, and food service workers. We even had Bob Cowell, the legendary hugging crossing guard.

Administrators? Principals Marilyn Wirtz, Deb Wretman, and John Bacon make up ¾ of a Mount Rushmore of Principals. It simply does not get better!

I should not have named people. Because I could have named so many more. But my goodness, you folks have helped my family! How does a person adequately say “thank you” for that? I feel as though I should break into “To Sir With Love”! But I will spare you that.

         I simply do not have the words to express the gratitude I owe these people. It is a debt that can never be repaid. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I love you all! And I love the ICCSD!



*Supervisors Are Busy!
         I have served as a County Supervisor for about 12 and a half years now. During that time, I have read thousands of reports and budgets, responded to thousands of emails and phone calls, and sat through many hundreds of meetings. All of that is just part of the job.

         None of these things are my favorite part of the job, however. That would be attending community meetings and events. Even my favorite part of the job can get a bit daunting, however.

         The busiest time of day for me – by far – is 4-7 PM on weekdays. This makes sense; the people scheduling such events understand that many people cannot attend events during the day. In addition, attendance is often better if folks can attend right after work, rather than going home, then heading out again. So 4-7 PM becomes a popular time for meetings and events.

         I started thinking about the frequency of these events following a particularly busy week. On a typical Tuesday, Wednesday, or Thursday, I can have 5 different events I could (should?) attend during that 4-7 window.

         Naturally, this presents some challenges. A Supervisor can simply skip certain events. You can put greater focus on areas that interest you. You can call organizers and offer condolences. You can try to get to everything, just stopping in to be seen, then heading off to the next event. Frankly, it is just more than any one person can do. Every Supervisor handles it differently; I’m not certain that there is a “best” way.

         I think the message I want to send is that while attendance at events is one measure of a Supervisor’s effectiveness, it is not the only measure. As a matter of fact, I would rank attendance at events pretty low on the list of important qualities in a Supervisor.

Supervisors need to study the issues, master the facts, and spend time with staff. They need to be compassionate, fair, honest, ethical, and genuine. And yes, they need to attend some community events!



*DID YOU KNOW?  The ICCSD employs 2330 faculty and staff.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website-

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home