Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

March 5, 2020

Sullivan’s Salvos     3/10/20



In this edition:


*Campaign Kick Off
*Visiting My Daughter Jordan
*Elizabeth Warren
*Democratic Party Unity
*Did You Know?



*Campaign Kick Off
Join Johnson County Supervisors Royceann Porter, Lisa Green Douglass, and Rod Sullivan as they kick off their 2020 reelection campaigns! 

The event will be Tuesday, March 31 from 5-7 PM at The Mill Restaurant in Iowa City. Pizza will be provided, and the bar will be open. Expect some brief words around 6pm.

This event is a fundraiser, but please attend regardless of money. Any cash donations will be split three ways unless otherwise noted.

All three Supervisors will be on the ballot in the June 2 Democratic Primary. Please stop by and chat with us about our ideas for Johnson County!



*Visiting My Daughter Jordan
         I recently took a long weekend and drove down to Memphis, Tennessee to visit my daughter Jordan. Unfortunately, I do not get to see Jordan nearly as much as I would like, so this trip was really special for me.

         I got to do some very Memphis things: Elvis, Johnny Cash, the National Civil Rights Museum, soul food, etc. Jordan and I took in a Grizzlies-Lakers game, so I got to see LeBron James play in person.

         But most importantly, I got to spend some quality time with my daughter. I just don’t see her enough. She works at a place almost exactly like Four Oaks; in other words, a large provider with a statewide contract to serve at risk youth. She has been promoted a couple of times. Jordan is now in charge of training, and very involved in the hiring process. She also coaches little kids in basketball and track. I am so incredibly proud of her! 



*Elizabeth Warren
I endorsed Elizabeth Warren for President way back in early June of 2019. Now, with her exiting the race, I want to offer one final salute. As I wrote just prior to the Iowa Caucuses:

I feel very strongly that she is what this country needs right now. No one is more courageous. No one is smarter. No one works harder. That is a great combo!

I support Elizabeth Warren because we know exactly where she stands.

Billionaires, insurance companies, big pharma, polluters, tech giants, big Ag, and Wall Street HATE her. That is good enough for me! As FDR once said, “Judge me by the enemies I’ve made.”

We need big ideas. Nobody has more big ideas than Warren. Plus, she can explain how every big idea will work and exactly how it is paid for. I am so proud to endorse Elizabeth Warren for President!

And you have heard about many of those plans. Universal Childcare. Student debt relief. Free college. Historic investment in affordable housing. Ending corruption. Rebuilding the middle class. Strengthening Democracy. Equal Justice. Each with detailed plans!

         Thank you, Senator Warren. You continue to inspire me!



*Democratic Party Unity
         I supported Elizabeth Warren in the Iowa Caucuses. I still support Elizabeth Warren. But I am REALLY growing weary of the commentary coming from both the Biden and Sanders supporters.

         Here is the thing a lot of people need to realize: if you are reading this, you are likely quite privileged. You can stomp your feet and say, “I’ll never vote for Bernie!” or “I’ll never vote for Joe!” You can do that. Because you are privileged. But for many people, the 2020 election is life and death. I will be angry if Trump wins a second term, but I’ll probably be fine. 100 million Americans (or more) are not so lucky!

Another thing: There are a LOT of us who have had to suck it up and work for a candidate we disliked. MANY times! And we have done so! Now it may be your turn. 

         I didn’t care for Dukakis. Worked my tail off for him. I HATED and STILL HATE Bill Clinton. Worked my tail off for him. I didn’t care for Gore. Worked my tail off for him. I didn’t care for Kerry. Worked my tail off for him. I didn’t care for Hilary Clinton. Worked my tail off for her. Not to mention all the crappy Gubernatorial, Congressional, and Senatorial candidates I have worked for after supporting someone else in the primary. Frankly, I have rarely EVER got to work for a person I supported in the Primary in the General.

         Biden folks: It is also worth noting that most of those candidates failed to win. There is no “moderate magic” when it comes to Democratic candidates experiencing success. They have reasons to be concerned.

         Biden folks: I am truly amazed at the number of people who fail to understand that a good percentage of the population has been underwhelmed by Democratic nominees. They have reasons not to trust your candidate.

         Biden folks: Please consider the impact of your dismissiveness toward young voters. They are already taken for granted. Someone from a winning Democratic campaign is going to need to offer young people something at some point, or we risk losing two generations of young people. Billionaires get plenty of love. Think about the 19-year-olds for a change.

         Bernie folks: The perfect is often the enemy of the good! Sorry, but Joe Biden WOULD be a much better President than Donald Trump! It DOES matter, to millions of Americans!

Bernie folks: We will not win the Presidency if you constantly criticize fellow Dems and criticize their candidate. So cut it out!

         So, supporters of Biden and Sanders - I have no interest in hearing you whine. I have taken my turn – dozens of times. Starting soon, I will take my turn YET AGAIN. 

If it also ends up being your turn… lick your wounds, suck it up, and work like hell for a candidate you didn’t support in the primary. If you cannot do that, you are hurting real people. If you cannot do that, then don’t you DARE complain to me about Donald Trump!



*DID YOU KNOW?  Cedar County played a key role in the Iowa Cow War of the early 1930s.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home