Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

November 11, 2021

Sullivan’s Salvos     11/16/21

 

 

 

In this edition:

 

 

*Mascher to Retire

*Legislative Openings

*Police Chief Screwed Up!

*Admitting I Was Wrong!

*National Adoption Month

*Did You Know?

 

 

 

*Mascher to Retire

Another Legislative shoe dropped this week with State Representative Mary Mascher announcing her retirement after 28 years in the Iowa House. 

 

I am getting old, and I have been involved in local politics for quite a while. When I think back to the people who are still active from when I started in the late ‘80s, Mary Mascher stands out. As everybody knows, Mary was a teacher. She was also a political activist who chaired the Johnson County Democratic Party.

 

I remember talking to some elected officials from western Iowa at a statewide conference. They said that at all the big fundraising events, speakers would say, “Do you want to turn over control of the State to radicals like MARY MASCHER?” They would really over-emphasize her name, like the deep-voiced radio announcers. And the crowd would vociferously boo at the sound of Mary’s name.

 

You know why that is? Because Mary has guts! She doesn’t take crap. She challenges those guys (they are almost all guys) and calls them out. If they dare debate her, she crushes them.

 

Understand – not every State Rep does this. Many avoid conflict. Others aren’t rhetorically capable. Many don’t care deeply enough. Not Mary! Mary fights the fight and she wins the fight!

 

I have always appreciated this about Mary. It is also worth noting that Mary’s seat is extremely safe. The people of Iowa City SHOULD have a Representative who pushes progressive legislation and fights hard for progressive causes. And for 28 years, Mary has delivered.

 

This is a huge loss for the people of Johnson County. But I also want to acknowledge that Mary has served long and well. She deserves to retire on her own terms. I am happy for her, and wish her all the best. Thanks, Mary, for an amazing, triumphant Legislative career!

 

 

 

*Legislative Openings

I cannot prove this, but I imagine this is the first time Iowa City has had an open State Senate seat and two open State House seats since the Legislature went to one person, one vote in the 1960s. 

 

This is the classic situation that is both a threat and an opportunity. I expect several candidates for these seats. I will be looking for a number of things in a candidate:

 

The candidates need to be progressive, smart, honest, genuine, and brave. They need to be focused on looking out for the neediest among us. They need to have paid some dues in the community and in the Party.

 

Perhaps most importantly, the people who occupy these seats cannot simply sit back. They need to push the envelope. They must play a role in Iowa similar to the roles played by Senators Sanders and Warren in the US Senate and Representatives Ocasio-Cortez and Jayapal in the US House. 

 

That does NOT mean our Reps need to be the furthest left, though they certainly need to be left of center. What this really means is they have to have guts. They have to lead on labor, healthcare, and education – issues important to everyone. They have to stand up against the rich. They have to be willing to reach into areas that make some folks uncomfortable. Again, they have to have guts. These are the seats that MUST play that role. If you cannot play that role, please do not run!

 

I know I am committed to making certain that we get the best possible people elected. I hope you are, too.

 

 

 

*Police Chief Screwed Up!

Last week the ICPD arrested Truth and Reconciliation Committee Chair Mohammed Traore at Harvat Hall as he spoke to fellow commissioners following a meeting.

 

Apparently there has been a warrant out for Traore for a couple of years. Was he aware of it? I don’t know. Should he have been aware of it? Probably, yes. Traore does not deny that he broke the law. 

 

But the ICPD royally screwed this up. It is not as though Traore has been hiding. He has been one of the most high-profile members of this community over the past couple of years. Police could have simple called him, reminded him of the warrant, and given him an opportunity to turn himself in. 

 

This is just such a boneheaded move in this racially charged environment. F-ing stupid, really. The ICPD had an opportunity to show a bit of grace to a young leader in the black community, and they chose to humiliate him instead. It is clearly retribution.

 

When people call this out as racist? It was. It was a stupidly racist decision. It’s shameful, and as a resident of Iowa City, I am thoroughly disappointed in my local police leadership. Come on, ICPD. You need to do better.

 

I am not sure what the City Council can do about this. The City Charter really insulates the Police Chief from the Council and the public. (By the way, I have applied to serve on City Charter Commissions in the 90s, 00s, and 10s, and been rejected each time. I will be applying again in the 20s.)

 

So, I believe citizens need to push Council members to do what they can. Like I said, I do not necessarily know what that amounts to. But we should not be satisfied with zero action.

 

 

 

*Admitting I Was Wrong!

I have to admit, I got it wrong when I incorrectly predicted that Republicans in the Iowa Legislature would go to a third map and gerrymander it. In fact, the second Legislative maps passed the Senate 48-1 and the House 93-2. 

 

Obviously, the second map was just about perfect for the GOP. But it could have been a tiny bit better. I figured that there was nothing preventing them from going for it all, and just ignoring yet another norm.

 

The analogy I used with my friend John Deeth included two junior high kids at lunch: The kid about to be bullied just approaches the bully and says, “Here. Just take $4 of the $5 I have for lunch.” Does the bully accept the $4 and walk away? Or beat the kid up and take all $5? I fully expected the Republicans in the Iowa Legislature to go for the full $5. 

 

But, I was obviously wrong. Let’s be clear – I don’t think the Republicans in the Iowa Legislature deserve a gold star simply because they didn’t break the law. That is a pretty low bar. 

 

Now we will see how the various districts shake out. I remain pretty dubious when it comes to the GOP members of the Iowa Legislature, but I am happy to have been proven wrong here!

 

 

 

*National Adoption Month

November has been named National Adoption Month and November 20th National Adoption Day.

 

The need out there is tremendous. In Johnson County alone, there are between 100 and 150 kids in foster care every day. There are nowhere near enough foster and adoptive homes to meet the need.

 

As many of you know, Melissa and I are the parents of three adopted children. We also served as foster parents to 50+ children, stopping four years ago.

 

It has been a life full of tragedies and triumphs. It has not always been easy, but it has been indescribably fulfilling. Along with marrying my wife, it is the best decision I ever made.

 

If you or someone you know is interested in foster care and/or adoption, please let me know. I am always happy to speak with prospective parents.

 

 

 

*DID YOU KNOW?  November derives from the Latin root novem- meaning “nine,” because in the Roman calendar there were only 10 months in the year, and November was indeed the ninth month. The word November was first recorded before the year 1000.

 

 

 

Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov.

 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

 

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

 

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan29@gmail.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

 

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan29@gmail.com. I look forward to serving you!

 

---Rod

 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home