Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

August 9, 2023

Sullivan’s Salvos     8/15/23

 

 

 

In this edition:

 

 

*RIP Brian James

*Happy Birthday Melissa!

*Happy Birthday BJ!

*Iowa Guard Misused!

*The Dignity of Work

*Did You Know?

 

 

 

*RIP Brian James

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Brian James of Swisher. I knew Brian during his tenure as North Liberty City Administrator. I spent quite a bit of time trying to figure out exactly what years he was at North Liberty – I know he left in late 2007, and I know he was there when I began as a Supervisor on January 1, 2005. Whatever the case, Brian’s run as City Administrator was colored by all sorts of political upheaval.

 

There was some deep division in North Liberty during that era. There was an “old guard” that has likely been involved in some shady self-dealing. There was a “new guard” that many locals felt were pushing too far and too fast. There were lawsuits aplenty! If you moved here after 2010, the North Liberty of 2000-10 would shock you! Things finally settled down under the leadership of former Mayor Tom Salm and current City Administrator Ryan Heier, but it was a crazy time!

 

I always liked Brian a lot. He was a bit overwhelmed by the politics and the growth of that era, but who wasn’t? He was a smart, kind, gentle man who managed a tough situation the best he could. A true public servant. RIP, Brian!

 

 

 

*Happy Birthday Melissa!

My wonderful wife Melissa Fath celebrates her birthday on August 17th. I have got to tell you – Melissa Fath is AMAZING! Her ability to balance cancer research with her roles as a wife, mother, and community member – I have no words to do it justice! I guess I’ll just stick to: Happy Birthday, Honey! I love you!

 

 

 

*Happy Birthday BJ!

My son Octavious (BJ) turns 27 on August 22. He has already had several adventures, and there are no doubt more to come. BJ lives in Florida where he is pursuing his dreams. 

 

BJ is funny compassionate, kind, and all around wonderful! I am very proud of him! Happy Birthday, BJ! I love you!

 

 

 

*Iowa Guard Misused!

Iowa Governor Kim Reynolds recently announced that she is sending the Iowa National Guard to the US-Mexico border. And that she is using American Rescue Plan Act (ARPA) dollars to do so.

 

This is an obvious misuse of ARPA money, and I hope the Feds call her on it. Meanwhile, I want to call your attention to the ways in which Johnson County is using ARPA money:

 

Direct cash assistance to our poorest residents. Childcare assistance. Affordable housing. Support for crisis mental health and substance abuse services. Support for nonprofits. Local food efforts. Supporting immigrants who were ineligible for direct COVID relief. And more.

 

The State of Iowa has done virtually zero of any of this. They should be doing all of this and more. I really believe Governor Reynolds is carving out a very special place in hell.

 

 

 

*The Dignity of Work

You may have heard this phrase used lately. Senator Sharrod Brown of Ohio (who I love!) uses it frequently. The first time we see the idea in written form is from Scottish philosopher Thomas Carlyle in 1843. Mahatma Gandhi referred to it frequently, as have several Popes. 

 

I did not know the origin of the Dignity of Work until I looked it up, but I can assure you I was raised on this idea! The two most important men in my life were my father and my maternal grandfather. The former was an Irish Catholic Democrat who grew up poor and led a union. The latter was born a Quaker then gave up all religion, and a Republican farmer who grew up with money. Not a lot of similarities there, but they agreed on most things, and got along very well.

 

One of the lessons both men taught me was the Dignity of Work. I remember my younger cousin and I running errands with my Grandpa as a little kid. We were in Mechanicsville, and it got to be lunch time, so my Grandpa took us to the little café there. At some point my cousin (who was probably only 5 or 6 at the time) made some unkind comment about the waitress. My Grandpa got upset. He said, “Look around this room. She’s the hardest working person in this room, no questions asked. And don’t you forget it!” It was one of the angriest moments I ever saw from him.

 

A few years later, I remember some friends of my younger brother teasing a boy named Eddie because his dad was a custodian. As it happened, his dad was the custodian at the new Teamster’s Hall, where my dad had his office. Dad grabbed the kids by the neck and gave them a fierce tongue lashing, something to the effect of, “Don’t you EVER f’ing talk bad about a man who works for a living! No matter what he does! EVER!” I think the boys took the point!

Those are not the only times I heard about this topic. So the Dignity of Work was hammered into me at a young age. As I explore this idea further, I think both men were quite generous. Both believed in charitable works. I think both men strongly supported a social safety net for those who could not work. But when it came to the idea of “welfare”? The Republican talking points of the time undoubtedly gave both men heartburn. How much should we do for someone who is “not willing to work”? 

 

Over time, I think those GOP talking points of people being “not willing to work” were basically proven to be bullshit. They were bullshit then, and they are bullshit now. The vast majority of people want to work. People want to work, but circumstances often make it difficult. I spent years as a social worker. I met a few people along the way who were trying to game the system. But not many. I’d say maybe one percent. So we design programs around stopping this one percent, and leave millions without the help they need. 

 

But those talking points did (and do) resonate with many people. I think that is why my Dad and Grandpa felt so strongly about working people. Maybe you could argue that a person without a job had some type of moral failing. (I STRONGLY disagree, but I can understand the argument.) But a person with a job? They were doing what God and the law intended! Don’t you dare go after someone who is working!

 

So the idea of the Dignity of Work is a powerful one. Let’s talk a little about what it actually means. I would posit the following:

 

If you are willing and able to work 40 hours per week, you should get to work 40 hours per week.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve safe working conditions.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve a living wage.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve quality, inexpensive healthcare.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve paid sick time.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve paid vacation time.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve a secure retirement.

If you work 40 hours a week, you deserve quality affordable childcare.

And probably most importantly, if you work 40 hours a week, you deserve to be treated with basic respect.

 

I would actually argue that people deserve some of these (healthcare, for example) even if they are NOT working 40 hours a week. Some things you deserve just for being a member of the human race. But when you throw in the “working 40 hours a week” it just seems even more of a no-brainer.

 

I hope my fellow Democrats will do more to adopt this philosophy, put it into practice, and then campaign on it. I really think most people agree with the general premise of the Dignity of Work.

 

So please join me in talking more about the Dignity of Work. It really is a no-brainer! Let me leave you with this quote from the Reverend Doctor Martin Luther King, Junior:

 

No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.” – Martin Luther King Jr.

 

Amen!

 

 

 

*DID YOU KNOW?  In a study commissioned by USA Today, researchers found that 32 percent of US jobs are “living wage” jobs, enough to get by but not to take vacations, save for retirement or live in a moderately priced home. 23 percent are middle-class jobs, allowing for dining out, modest vacations and putting some money away for retirement. 42% of US jobs meet neither standard.

 

 

 

Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov.

 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

 

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

 

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan29@gmail.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

 

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan29@gmail.com. I look forward to serving you!

 

---Rod

 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home