Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

August 13, 2024

Sullivan’s Salvos     8/15/24

 

 

 

In this edition:

 

 

*Happy Birthday Melissa!

*Happy Birthday BJ!

*Union Tradition Lives On!

*Skip the Bottled Water

*Soil Health Program

*Refugees of a Different Kind

*Did You Know?

 

 

 

*Happy Birthday Melissa!

My wonderful wife Melissa Fath celebrates her birthday on August 17th. I have got to tell you – Melissa Fath is AMAZING! Her ability to balance cancer research with her roles as a wife, mother, and community member – I have no words to do it justice! I guess I’ll just stick to: Happy Birthday, Honey! I love you!

 

 

 

*Happy Birthday BJ!

My son Octavious (BJ) turns 28 on August 22. He has already had several adventures, and there are no doubt more to come. BJ lives in Florida where he is pursuing his dreams. 

 

BJ is funny compassionate, kind, and all around wonderful! I am very proud of him! Happy Birthday, BJ! I love you!

 

 

 

*Union Tradition Lives On!

I spoke to my nephew Levi the other day, who is a recent college grad. He just started a job, and told me that he joined AFSCME the very first day he could. 

 

That makes him the 4th generation of Sullivans in Cedar Rapids to carry a union card!

 

His Great Grandparents died long before he was born. His Grandpa died a few years before he was born. But they would be so damn proud! I am proud, too! Solidarity, nephew!

 

 

 

*Skip the Bottled Water

This appeared in Salvos a few months ago, but it bears repeating: It takes 47 million barrels of oil to produce the 4 billion pounds of plastic water bottles used each year. 47 million barrels of oil is enough to fuel 1 million cars for a year. (Source: Physicians for Social Responsibility.)

 

It is easy to default to bottled water. I am sometimes guilty of it, too. But please try to avoid wasting all that plastic. (And water!) We all need to do our part.

 

 

 

*Soil Health Program

Homeowners in unincorporated Johnson County and its smaller communities who would like to have greener and healthier lawns without the use of chemicals, can apply to have 50% of the costs for soil quality restoration reimbursed (up to $2,000) through the Johnson County Soil Health Program. Homeowners who wish to participate must be pre-approved by the program coordinators and use a contractor from a pre-approved list.

 

The program’s goal is to restore soil quality on new or existing lawns. The restoration process involves deep-tine aeration, which removes small plugs of earth from the lawn to reduce soil compaction and applying clean compost to add organic matter to the soil. Good quality soil absorbs more water and provides the nutrients that a lawn needs to be healthy. The result is a reduced need for watering, fertilizers, and pesticides, with less runoff and fewer pollutants going into local streams. 

 

Interested homeowners can learn more and apply for the program by visiting johnsoncountyiowa.gov/soil-quality-restoration.

Approval for program participation is on a first-come, first-served basis. An informational video also is available at https://tinyurl.com/SHPjc.

 

For more information, contact Kasey Hutchinson, environmental regulations coordinator, or Becky Soglin, sustainability coordinator, in the Johnson County Planning, Development and Sustainability Department at soilhealthprogram@johnsoncountyiowa.gov or 319-356-6083.

 

 

 

*Refugees of a Different Kind

It was Thursday, August 1st. The doorbell rang just after 7 am. I was still getting dressed when Melissa said, “There is a young person on our porch who needs to go to Guide Link. I told them you would drive them. Meanwhile, I am charging their cell.”

 

What? Who? Do I know them? WTF is going on? (Melissa does this type of thing to me a lot.) I finished dressing and went outside. A tiny person, probably 5’2” and 110 pounds, was standing there with a large backpack. They were wearing a baseball cap and had a scruffy beard, and gave me a big smile. “I’m Adam,” (not their real name) they said. I introduced myself, and said, “So I hear you want a ride to Guide Link?” “Yes,” said Adam. “I heard they can help me.”

 

I told Adam to jump in, and we began driving. I said, “I have to ask – why ring our doorbell?” Adam quickly replied that they had noticed the Iowa City Pride sign in our yard, and figured we would be kind. You see, Adam was trans.

 

Adam began sharing their life story. Born and raised in a tiny town outside of Davenport, they were homeschooled K-12. As they began to figure out who they were, their parents punished them for it. After completing high school, Adam tried to be themself. Their parents threw them out of the house. 

 

They have spent the last year just ambling across Iowa. They stayed with some people in Davenport, but began getting into drugs. They found a place to sober up in DeWitt, but could only stay a couple weeks. Then there was a big move out to Sioux City, where they spent some time feeling totally unsafe. Des Moines did not work out. 

 

They went home for just a couple of days, but their parents were upset about the drug use. “Let me guess,” I interjected. They thought if you just sobered up you would no longer be trans?” “Exactly!” hollered Adam. They laughed, and said, “I’m sorry – I’m just not used to someone understanding my situation.” 

 

After the failed return home, they headed to a sober living space in Muscatine. “It was cool;’ said Adam. “They really believed in harm reduction. They were very well-intentioned. But no one was getting better, because everyone in the place was still using.” Finally, someone there suggested Guide Link in Iowa City. So Adam found a ride to town. Unfortunately, that led right into a bender. 

 

Adam’s story finished just as we pulled up to Guide Link. I gave them my cell number, and asked if they wanted me to come in. Adam said no, so I wished them well and drove to work.

 

A few hours later my phone rang. It was Adam. Though the folks at Guide Link were very kind, they could not really help them. You see, Adam really didn’t have any mental health issues, and they were totally sober when they arrived. Basically, what Adam needed was a place to live, and maybe a support group. So Guide Link referred Adam to Shelter House. Adam said the folks at Shelter House were also very kind, but they were completely full. They took Adam’s number, and said they would be in touch if something opened up. Adam was now homeless in Iowa City.

 

Honestly, I have mixed emotions about what happened next. Melissa and I already had a young adult staying at our house for a few weeks, waiting on her new lease to start. Our house already felt crowded. I was secretly hoping Adam would not ask to stay with us. They did not ask. Then I felt even worse! I told Adam to call if they needed something, and we hung up. 

 

When people think about refugees in Johnson County, they typically think of people from Afghanistan, Sudan, or some other foreign country. But we have additional types of refugees. The Iowa GOP has created a state where we have LGBTQ+ refugees. And just like our refugees from other countries, these refugees have nowhere to live. It is tragic.

 

I sincerely hope we can do something to help house Adam and others who find themselves in similar situations. And just like refugees from other countries, I hope we can work upstream to end the injustices that make them feel they need to leave their homes. We must do better.

 

 

 

*DID YOU KNOW?  The first white settler in Johnson County was a man named Phillip Clark, who arrived in 1836. Clark made his home near Morfordsville, which was near the Iowa River in Pleasant Valley Township east of Hills. Morfordsville ceased to exist in the 1890s.

 

 

 

Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov.

 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

 

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

 

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan29@gmail.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

 

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan29@gmail.com. I look forward to serving you!

 

---Rod

 

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home