Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

November 1, 2018

Sullivan’s Salvos     11/6/18



In this edition:


*RIP Supervisor Friese
*Other Notable Deaths
*Happy Birthday Rachel!
*VOTE!
*Attending Events
*National Adoption Month
*Veteran’s Day
*Did You Know?



*RIP Supervisor Friese
         My colleague and friend Kurt Friese passed away last week. I am still in a bit of shock as I write this, so please bear with me.

         First and foremost, my thoughts and prayers go out to Kim, Devon, Taylor, and everyone who loved Kurt. 

         It is interesting… many people assume Kurt and I were old friends. Prior to 2012, I barely knew him. We had only spoken a few times. In 2014, we chatted about his interest in running for Supervisor. When Kurt finally decided to run for Supervisor in 2016, I wasn’t completely sure what to think. He was clearly smart and articulate, but was he the real deal?

         He was. Kurt Friese was the real deal. He walked the talk. The more time we spent together, the more I liked him and the more I respected him. We were not old friends, but we had become good friends. 

         It has been said by his family members, so I certainly do not mind repeating it here: Kurt would have wanted you to get out and vote! Seriously – if you want to honor his memory – volunteer these next few days!

         I am very, very sad. Kurt left a mark on me. I know he left a mark on many others. My condolences to all who knew and loved him.



*Other Notable Deaths
         There have been a handful of other deaths in Johnson County that I wanted to note.

         I never actually met J. Fred Doornbos. He was a frequent writer of letters to the editor, always from a very conservative point of view. We had some correspondence over the years in which we strongly disagreed. As a matter of fact, I don’t think we agreed on anything. But you know what? We disagreed without name-calling, let alone pipe bombs. RIP, Fred.

         Howard Ciha was a Sutliff-area farmer who just happened to own an ecological treasure. Thankfully, Howard worked with Johnson County Conservation to preserve the area now known as the Ciha Fen. (I remember meeting with Howard and his wife Phyllis, along with former Conservation Director Harry Graves. Well into his 80s at the time, Howard was concerned about some sapling trees he had planted. He planned on using them for fence in the future!) RIP, Howard.

         Doctor James Gardner served as President of the Arc in the late 60s, and was a driving force behind the creation of Systems Unlimited in 1971. Thousands of people with disabilities lived better lives because of his activism. RIP, Jim.

         Franklin Kebschull passed away last week at 56. We all have our struggles. There but for the grace of God go I. May you finally find peace. 



*Happy Birthday Rachel!
         Happy Birthday to my oldest daughter Rachel, who turns 27 today! I am SO proud of Rachel! She challenged us a LOT when she was a kid, but she has grown into a wonderful young woman.

         Rachel is now seeing the other side of the parent-child equation, as she gave birth to our first grandchild - granddaughter Zuri - back in May of 2017. Happy Birthday, Honey! I love you!



*VOTE!
         Election Day is upon us! Vote, and make certain everyone you know votes! There is a lot at stake here!

         If you have a ballot, do NOT mail it in! Please take it to your polling place! But you must have it with you! If you have other voting questions, call the Auditor’s Office at 319-354-6004.

         I will admit; I am scared. I have never been more worried for my State and my Country. All I can do is try my damndest to get as many people as possible to get out and vote! Please join me!



*Attending Events
         I typically attend a lot of community events. But you haven’t seen me at many lately. Why? Door knocking!

         If we don’t win some key races, those community events are all going to be very sad events! I’ll be back on November 7th!



*National Adoption Month
         November has been named National Adoption Month and November 20th National Adoption Day.

         The need out there is tremendous. In Johnson County alone, there are between 100 and 150 kids in foster care every day. There are nowhere near enough foster and adoptive homes to meet the need.

As many of you know, Melissa and I are the parents of three adopted children. We also served as foster parents to 50+ children, stopping last year.

It has been a life full of tragedies and triumphs. It has not always been easy, but it has been indescribably fulfilling. Along with marrying my wife, it is the best decision I ever made.

         If you or someone you know is interested in foster care and/or adoption, please let me know. I am always happy to speak with prospective parents.



*Veteran’s Day
         Happy Veteran’s Day on November 11. Thanks to all the men and women who have served our country. I appreciate your service, and wish you peace.

         Veterans For Peace Chapter #161 is sponsoring an Armistice Day Observance to be held on Sunday, November 11th at the Clinton St. entrance to Old Capitol, Iowa City. Gather @ 10:45AM. Bells will be rung @ 11:00 AM, as they were rung around the world at the end of WWI in 1918 and on each November 11th for decades thereafter. 

Armistice Day is a day to promote peace and to remember thevictims of war, both veterans and civilians. The event will feature Veterans for Peace from throughout the state of Iowa. A free lunch will follow at Old Brick. The event is free, and the public is welcome. 



*DID YOU KNOW?  2018 marks the 100thanniversary of Armistice Day, and the end of the War to End All Wars. Unfortunately, the US is now mired in the longest war in our history, with no end in sight. 



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod





0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home