Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

October 17, 2019

Sullivan’s Salvos     10/22/19



In this edition:


*Technology Woes
*My Cup Runneth Over
*UI Power Plant
*Warren for President!
*P&Z and Seven Deadly Sins
*Beating/Fighting Cancer
*Did You Know?



*Technology Woes
         I have had my fill of technology lately. We recently bought a 2017 Prius; I can drive it but I cannot use all the fancy technology upgrades. Worse, I updated our Mac operating system to Catalina. Our hard drive disappeared. It brought along the replacement for iTunes; then my iPod wouldn’t work. 

         So just because I “upgraded” – I use that term loosely – it could cost me time and money just get someone to help me get back to where I was pre-“upgrade.” What a scam!

I am beyond frustrated. I REALLY hate being this dependent on technology. But in this day and age, what choices does one have?



*My Cup Runneth Over
         This may strike you as a silly story, but I am going to tell it anyway. I have a habit of using the same plastic cup over and over. It really isn’t a big deal, but I have always prided myself on reusing the same cup. Sometimes it is full of Diet Mountain Dew. Sometimes it is full of water. In either case, the cup gets used over and over. My most recent cup lasted around seven years, near as I can tell!

         But alas, the cup is no more. And it died at the hand of my own dear mother! I was with my Mom, watching my nephew run cross country in Cedar Rapids. Next thing I knew, the cup was gone!

         There is no use crying over a lost cup. So, I have started a new tradition. I bought a new cup, and again I reuse it every day. Let’s see how long I get this one to last!

         Meanwhile, I hope you will join me in reusing plastic whenever possible! Reuse is preferable to recycling!



*UI Power Plant
         Do not be deceived – the UI proposal to sell its’ power plant to a private company is a disaster! This will be horrible for the environment, horrible for our budget, horrible for workers – horrible in every way.

         But like usual, Bruce Harreld is doing what he is told by the Governor’s funders. All we can do is vote for a better Legislature and Governor. Hopefully, before they pull the trigger on this debacle!



*Warren for President!
         As I hope you know, I have endorsed Elizabeth Warren for President. I feel very strongly that she is what this country needs right now. No one is more courageous. No one is smarter. No one works harder. That is a great combo!

I would love to take some time to tell you why I support Senator Warren, and to answer any questions you might have. Just reply to this message and we will chat!

Meanwhile, if you can’t see yourself caucusing for anyone other than Elizabeth Warren on February 3rd, 2020, it may be time to commit to caucusing for her! Let our campaign know we can count on you in our corner on caucus night! Ready to commit? Let me know in a reply to this email, by stopping into our office or one of our events, or by filling out this online commit to caucus card!



*P&Z and Seven Deadly Sins
         The Board of Supervisors has spent a great deal of time on Planning and Zoning matters of late, and it got me thinking… nowhere are the Seven Deadly Sins on display quite like a zoning discussion.

         Sound a bit crazy? Perhaps so. But I have watched a lot of zoning discussions in my life. I have sat in on hundreds as a County Supervisor. I have watched scores in Iowa City, and a few each in University Heights, Coralville, and North Liberty. And I have witnessed bad behavior in each place. Consider:

Gluttony: Ok, not certain this fits.

Lust: Ok, not certain this fits.

Sloth: Did the “experts” do the proper research, or were they lazy about it? Did the members of the elected body read everything in the packet, or were they lazy about it? Did the neighbors do research, or rely on heresay?

Anger: This one is pretty self-explanatory. Do you call the members of the elected body “idiots” or “morons”? Does the elected body require law enforcement to be present to keep everyone safe? 

Envy: Do people covet what their neighbors have (or propose to have)?

Greed: Does the application make more money at the expense of the environment? Does the application make more money at the expense of the neighbors? Does the application cut corners due to costs?

Pride: Viewed as the worst of the seven, Pride is on display at every zoning discussion. Neighbors who view themselves as better than poor people. Neighbors who view themselves as better than black and brown people. Neighbors who believe they deserve amenities like low traffic and quiet streets that others do not. 

         I hate to say it, but zoning discussions can definitely bring out the worst in folks!



*Beating/Fighting Cancer
         Words can matter! With that in mind, I would like to urge all of you to consider changing the way we talk about cancer.

         Cancer is not a contest. You don’t “beat it” and you don’t “Win the battle against it.” If you are lucky enough to survive, you survived due to the work of a whole team of doctors, nurses, researchers, caregivers, etc.

         But the big problem with the idea of “losing your battle with” cancer is the idea that the victim had any control whatsoever. By framing things this way, it is easy to assign blame to the victim: “Had she only fought harder….” It creates an environment where people who die are seen as weak, lazy, or someone who gives up easily. 

         Similarly, there is no “brave” way to deal with cancer. We must not judge the victims of this terrible disease for the way they react.

         Cancer is not a game, and it does not have winners and losers. It has victims and survivors.



*DID YOU KNOW?  600,000 Americans die every year from some sort of cancer.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home