Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

September 10, 2020

Sullivan’s Salvos     9/15/20

 

 

 

In this edition:

 

 

*Hang In There!

*RIP Tom Douglass

*Eldon Slaughter

*Sullivan for Supervisor

*Dealing With Power

*Did You Know?

 

 

 

*Hang In There!

         COVID-19. Black Lives Matter. Derecho. Economic collapse. Presidential election. It is a lot, isn’t it? If you are stressed, you are not alone! Hang in there! And please seek help if you need it. If you aren’t sure where to go, just email me. Thanks!

 

 

 

*RIP Tom Douglass

         Tom Douglass of rural North Liberty passed away earlier this week. Tom was a Professor Emeritus of Spanish at the UI, and husband of my friend and colleague Lisa Green Douglass.

 

         Tom was a wonderful husband, father, and teacher, and someone whose company I always enjoyed. RIP, Tom.

 

 

 

*Eldon Slaughter

         Congratulations to Johnson County’s Facilities Director Eldon Slaughter, who retired after 8 years with Johnson County. Eldon is quite a character, and I really enjoyed our conversations. Now he has more time to restore old cars at his home in Lone Tree. Thanks for everything, Eldon!

 

 

 

*Sullivan for Supervisor

With everything else going on, I sometimes forget to mention that I am on the ballot this fall. I am very proud of the work I have done, and I hope you will consider honoring me with your vote. Below is a quick argument for giving me another term: 

 

I grew up on a Heritage farm (150 years in the same family) near Sutliff, and attended K-12 in the Lisbon school system. I am an alumnus of the University of Iowa. I have held several positions in the field of human services, including 6 years with the Department of Human Services and 6 years as Executive Director of the Arc of Johnson County. 

 

I am married to Dr. Melissa Fath, a Research Scientist at the UI and a volunteer Pharmacist at the Free Medical Clinic. We have 3 adult children-Rachel, Jordan, and BJ, and have served as foster parents for another 50+ children.

 

I am a member of several community organizations, including: St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parent Association, NAMI, Center for Worker Justice, ACLU Hawkeye Chapter, AFT Local 716, and Iowa City Federation of Labor. I also served 4 years as Chair of the Johnson County Democratic Party.

 

Some of the accomplishments of which I am proud:

 

·      Leadership during the Covid-19 crisis.

·      Leadership during ’08 floods.

·      Raising the minimum wage – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.

·      Passed a Human Rights Ordinance – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.

·      Passed a Sensitive Areas Ordinance – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.

·      Passed the Conservation Bond Initiative – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.

·      Passed the Community ID Program – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.

·      Started 1105 Project with gift of old Public Health building.

·      Saved Sutliff Bridge after ’08 floods.

·      Started trails funding.

·      Created the Free Tax Help project.

·      Created the Livable Community for Successful Aging.

·      Added outdoor warning sirens to unincorporated Johnson County.

·      Created the Local Foods Policy Council.

·      Heritage AAA Outstanding Elected Official – 2009.

 

If reelected, my goals are: 

1.   Continue community recovery from Covid-19; 

2.   Begin serving people at the GuideLink Center; 

3.   Improve Affirmative Action results; 

4.   Renegotiate 6 union contracts to the benefit of all.

 

I am grateful for your past support, and I thank you for your future consideration. I promise to never take this position for granted! I respectfully request your vote on or before November 3. Thank you!

 

 

 

*Dealing With Power

         I used to have an ongoing conversation with my late friend Diane Finnerty. She liked to quiz me on some of the internal and external politics of being a Supervisor. Then at some point, she would stop and say, “You know someday we are going to need to learn how to be in charge, right?” Then we would chuckle. And she was right.

 

         I look at the current ICCSD Board. I could never in my wildest dreams have imagined having such a good group. I look at the Iowa City and Coralville Councils – full of outstanding people. I have been recruiting candidates for elected office since the late ‘80s. These are the best collective groups we have had in that span. 

 

         So? I feel better about the cast of characters. Does that mean everything is fixed? Nope. So let’s talk a bit about why that might be.

 

         I think one big reason is that some members of the public are simply oppositional. They dislike and distrust everyone who is in power. Give the new person two weeks, then they will turn on her. These folks may help you remove a bad group of elected officials, but they will not assist you in accomplishing anything.

 

         A second reason is that bureaucracies are difficult to change. Just winning the election does not change policy. The same administrators are there with the same policies. It takes tremendous effort AFTER you have been elected to make meaningful change.

 

         Finally, I would argue that most of us do not know how to handle being in power. We do not know what to do once our candidate wins. How do I support her? How do I hold her accountable? I think this is an area where most of us can improve. Personally, I do not mind being held accountable. In fact, I appreciate it. But there are definitely certain methods that work better than others.

 

         When I first ran for office, one major issue for me was a County Human Rights Ordinance. When I got elected, I found the dynamics challenging. Three incumbent Supervisors supported it, but really didn’t want to work on it. (Remember, the topic was much more controversial back then!) One incumbent said he supported it in public, but opposed it privately. Meanwhile, the people who had to do the actual work had other priorities.

 

         Honestly, it would have been much easier to give up. I kept pushing, and we passed the first County Human Rights Ordinance in Iowa’s history. But it took a lot of work. There were also several people (both inside and outside the County) pushing me to keep going forward. And I pissed some people off along the way. Looking back, I am certainly glad things went as they did. But I can also see several ways in which it simply would not have happened. And yes, I chose to focus on a success. I am sure there are probably other things I promised, then never produced the results. (If I ask, someone will remind me!)

 

         I think an interesting current example of dealing with power is the Iowa Freedom Riders. They have the Council’s ear. They have some power. But it will not last. Because it never lasts. Just watch: the older, whiter public is going to grow weary of their tactics, and elect a council that will “get tough on crime.” If the Iowa Freedom Riders wanted my advice – and I know for a fact they do NOT – I would say figure out what you want the most and get it negotiated right now. You probably will not get 100% of what you want. Shoot for it, but do not forget to take smaller victories along the way.

 

         Supporting candidates and getting them elected is only the first step. Think about how you deal with the people in elected office. They are not always your enemies. You have the ability to get things accomplished, but you need to be thoughtful as to how you go about it.

 

 

 

*DID YOU KNOW?  Plans are in effect for drive through voting in Johnson County. Starting October 5, voters will be able to enter the Health and Human Services Building lot from Clinton Street, drive through the lower level of the parking ramp, vote, and exit onto Dubuque Street. For more details, contact the Auditor’s Office at 356-6004.

 

 

 

Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

www.johnsoncountyiowa.gov.

 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

 

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

 

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

 

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan29@gmail.com. I look forward to serving you!

 

---Rod

 

 

 

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home