Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

May 14, 2015

Sullivan’s Salvos     5/19/15




In this edition:


*Congratulations, BJ!
*Teachers
*ICCSD Issues
*RIP Betty Sedlacek
*Did You Know?




*Congratulations, BJ!
         My son BJ graduates from City High on Memorial Day weekend.

All graduations are special occasions. And I am a big softie – Pomp and Circumstance alone can bring a tear to my eye! But I am particularly moved by this event. Please allow me to take a moment to explain why this moment means so much to me.

         In case you did not know, BJ was adopted. He first came to our house when he had just turned 3 – but those first 3 years were eventful. He dealt with problems that most of us can never dream of.

         Our time together has not always been easy. BJ has had to work, and work hard. We have been through a lot. He has become a very sensitive, caring, kind, hard working young man! He really cares about those who are less fortunate. He is outspoken – maybe too much! But at his core, he is a really good human being.

BJ has had a great career at City High. He has served as a manager for Show Choir; President of the Interact Club; yearbook staff; and he has done publicity for various City High events. He spent some time in track, cross country, choir, and show choir. He also works three jobs!

Next year he will move on to DMACC in Des Moines, where he will study nursing and perhaps mortuary science.

         We fight – sometimes loud and long! But I cannot imagine loving someone more. And I admire him – so deeply. I am so very proud. I really don’t have the words.

It is really neat to be able to say that the person I admire the most is my own son. I am a very lucky man!

         Congratulations on your graduation, Buddy! I love you!




*Teachers
         BJ is our baby. Within a few months, we will be empty nesters. It has not sunk in yet, but we are almost finished with our long run in the ICCSD.

         I cannot allow this milestone to pass without acknowledging the amazing, AMAZING teachers that have helped our children along the way!

         I estimate that the kids probably had ~ 100 teachers between the three of them. Then there are the teachers we met throughout the District through serving as foster parents. So we saw a little bit of things everywhere, and a LOT at Hoover, SEJH, and City High.

Not EVERY teacher was excellent – over the years, there were probably 2-3 people who needed to leave the profession. But oh, the other 98%! You were smart, patient, kind, firm, fair, hard working, and you really, truly cared for my kids.

OK, now I am tearing up. It seems almost unfair to name anyone, because I will be leaving others out. But I just cannot help it. So, with apologies to all those wonderful people who also deserve to be mentioned, my greatest appreciation to:

*Ann Allaire: They were so little, so hurt, and so scared. You taught them that school was safe and fun.

*Lorraine Whittington: It is amazing what a young person can do if you challenge them!

*Jeff Kosier: The bark was always worse than the bite!  J

*Pete Muir: Nobody does it better, my friend. You are a legend!

*Jill Harper: My daughter graduated because of you, plain and simple. You made such a monumental difference in her life. Thanks.

*Terry Coleman and Bill McTaggart: Great coaches and better men. What more could a parent want? It was a fun ride!

*Ali Borger-German and Robin Fields: The kids know you care, and they appreciate it. They don’t always show it, but they appreciate it! Keep pushing!

*Carrie Watson: The Pete Muir “Force” lives on, and it lives on in you. Carry that torch!  J

And it was not just teachers. We had great custodians, support staff, and food service workers. We even had Bob Cowell, the legendary hugging crossing guard.

Administrators? Principals Marilyn Wirtz, Deb Wretman, and John Bacon make up ¾ of a Mount Rushmore of Principals. It simply does not get better!

I should not have named people. Because I could have named so many more. But my goodness, you folks have helped my family! How does a person adequately say “thank you” for that? I feel as though I should break into “To Sir With Love”! But I will spare you that.

         I simply do not have the words to express the gratitude I owe these people. It is a debt that can never be repaid. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! I love you all! And I love the ICCSD!




*ICCSD Issues
         I have been pretty involved in ICCSD issues over the years. And I’ll be honest – I am growing tired. The political machinations in this District are wearing me out.

         So, a final plea – as I depart my role as ICCSD parent and become just an ICCSD taxpayer:

         Let the poor families win a few. It is just that simple. Let the poor families win a few. Just once, inconvenience the wealthy families. Look at the data, and see what helps poor kids the most. Then do that. Just a couple times.

         It may not be the easiest thing to do, but it is the right thing. You WILL get criticized. So what? You get criticized now. Let the poor families win a few.




*RIP Betty Sedlacek
         BETTY SEDLACEK OF RURAL IOWA CITY PASSED AWAY EARLIER THIS WEEK. WE GOT TO KNOW EACH OTHER DURING THE DEBATES OVER NEWPORT ROAD. BETTY HAD EMAILED ME FAITHFULLY ONCE A WEEK FOR OVER 11 YEARS. EVERY EMAIL WAS IN ALL CAPS. AND IF YOU KNEW BETTY, YOU KNOW SHE WAS A BOLD AND OPINIONATED PERSON. SHE PRETTY MUCH LIVED HER LIFE IN ALL CAPS. SO I SALUTE YOU TODAY, BETTY – IN ALL CAPS. RIP, MY FRIEND.




*DID YOU KNOW?  Iowa City West is the 4th largest school in Iowa. City High is #20, Clear Creek Amana #70, and Solon #98.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website-

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line.

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home