Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

November 28, 2018

Sullivan’s Salvos     12/4/18



In this edition:


*Happy Hanukah!
*Special Election
*November Snows
*Black Friday
*Holiday Shopping and Events?
*Changing Email Addresses
*Did You Know?



*Happy Hanukah!
Happy Hanukah to all my Jewish friends! I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday! Chag Urim Sameach!



*Special Election
         If you are a Democrat and/or a progressive, I need your help. We have a Special Election on Tuesday, December 18 to fill the office of Supervisor. This election is no gimme!

There were Special Elections for the office of County Supervisor in 1994 (won by Don Sehr), 2010 (won by Janelle Rettig), 2014 (won by John Etheredge), and 2016 (won by Lisa Green Douglass). So as you can see, Democrats have not exactly set the world on fire in these instances!

GOP voters tend to turn out in these cases; Democratic Party voters do not. Please do your part, and spread the word about this important election! Every little bit helps! Get on the phone. Get on Facebook. Spread the word!

Early voting will begin no later than 10th, and will be available 7:45 am -5:30 pm from December 10-14th and December 17 at the Auditor’s Office. There will be a satellite December 14 at UIHC, and December 15 at the IC Public Library.

         We need people who are willing to knock doors and make phone calls. Please email me if you are able to help.



*November Snows
         Winter weather arrived in Iowa before we could even rake all the leaves, and it appears it is here to stay! Many kudos to the public employees who cleared our roads at the end of a holiday weekend!

         I simply cannot help but think about this in relationship to the raging wildfires in California; why can’t they get some of this moisture? Climate Change is real, folks… and we see it every day both subtly and in extreme weather events.

         The talking heads on Fox will now be smirking and denouncing global warming, as they do during every big snow. Unfortunately, they fiddle while Rome burns. I sure wish I could go back in time and make them use “Climate Change” rather than “Global Warming”. 

         Meanwhile, I hope you all stay warm and safe! Be careful out there!



*Black Friday
         I am proud to say that I have NEVER gone shopping on the day after Thanksgiving. Never. And I do not expect to ever do so.

         When I do get around to shopping, it will be at a local brick and mortar store that pays property and sales taxes, and at a store that pays its employees well. I have less choices than I used to, but I’ll find something.



*Holiday Shopping and Events?
         Planning your Holiday events? Starting your Holiday shopping? If so, please remember to look for the little blue sign that says, “We support the Johnson County Minimum Wage - $10.10.”

         Obviously, Republicans in the Iowa Legislature took away Johnson County’s ability to set a minimum wage. But a coalition of local individuals, led by the Center for Worker Justice, have gone door-to-door to local businesses, asking them to pledge to pay at least $10.10.

         And the campaign has been very successful! Already over 150 local businesses have made the pledge, with more businesses pledging every day.

         I am going to spend my dollars in a way that does some social good. I am going to spend my dollars in a way that reflects the teachings of the season. I am going to support businesses that pay $10.10 this Holiday season. I hope you will do the same!



*Changing Email Addresses
         I have been having some email difficulties recently, and I have had a few scares. I was forced to switch to a new mail system, and it has not been easy!

         I had to have professional help to recover my contacts, and they still don’t work the way I feel they should. I am going to require additional help to recover my saved email folders. The idea of moving forward without either was (and is) truly daunting!

         But the REALLY scary thing? At one point, I had a tech guy on the phone, and he offhandedly and cavalierly said, “Maybe you’ll just need to get a new email address.”

         I was shocked. I got a sick feeling in my stomach. I had not even contemplated such a thing! Rodsullivan@mchsi.comis the only email address I have ever used. (I do have a Gmail account, but don’t really use it for anything.) Every friend I have has that address. All my business connections have that address. Every membership to anything I have ever joined has that address. My credit cards, my bank, my work, my insurance, my magazine subscriptions, social media, my dog’s vet, my plumber… I cannot even imagine changing my email address at this point in my life!

         Luckily, it looks as though I will keep this address. (Even though maintaining everything has been an expensive pain in the ass!) So, Salvos readers – I need you to reassure me. Have you changed email addresses? Was it better/easier than I imagine? Of what pitfalls should a person be aware?



*DID YOU KNOW?  Clarion (Wright County) is the only Iowa county seat in the exact center of the county.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home