Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

December 19, 2019

Sullivan’s Salvos     12/24/19



In this edition:


*Merry Christmas!
*Happy Hanukah!
*Salvos Salutes Next Week!
*Good Things Coming at a Great Time!
*Fertility Stats
*Items in Salvos
*County Holiday Schedule
*Did You Know?



*Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas to those of you who celebrate it. I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday!

         My granddaughter will be with us for a couple of weeks, and I am on cloud nine! I hope each of you gets to experience something that good!



*Happy Hanukah!
Happy Hanukah to all my Jewish friends! I hope you all have a safe and happy holiday! Chag Urim Sameach!



*Salvos Salutes Next Week!
We live in a GREAT county! Why? Because of the great people that live here! Unfortunately, we rarely do enough to acknowledge these wonderful people and the wonderful things they do.

         That is why I really look forward to Salvos Salutes. It provides an opportunity to mention just a few of these cool people and the good things they do. I hope you look forward to it as well!



*Good Things Coming at a Great Time!
         The holidays and Salvos Salutes are both coming at a really good time. Unfortunately, life has been pretty tough of late.

         My children have problems with which I cannot help. I have several friends going through various health crises. Work has been absolutely miserable, with people from all over the county calling me stupid, heartless, etc. I really need some positives.

         I hope the holiday season gives you a good dose of what you need. And I hope you find Salvos Salutes as inspirational as I do! Meanwhile, take good care, and seek help if you need it!



*Fertility Stats
         The Sierra Club recently put out some interesting data on fertility. As you may know, this has been a difficult issue for the Sierra Club. 

On one hand, they push the scientific fact that human activity is having catastrophic consequences for the planet. On the other hand, there are policies of immigration, reproductive rights, and other hot topics in which groups disguise racism and misogyny as environmental policy. The Sierra Club has been fighting this for a long time.

A recent issue of Sierra Magazine touched on these topics once again. I found the following stats to be quite remarkable:

*In 1960, worldwide, women gave birth to 5 children on average. That average has fallen to 2.5 today. 

*In 1960, 86% of women worldwide had at least one child by age 19. In 2017, that fell to 43%.

*It took the US 82 years (from 1844 to 1926) to go from 6 to 3 children per woman. It only took China 11 years (1967 to 1978) to do the same thing. (Demonstrating the efficiency of a totalitarian regime!)

*In countries where nearly 100% of girls finish middle school, women have an average of two children. In countries where less than 20% of girls do not complete middle school, women have an average of 6 children. 

Interesting data!



*Items in Salvos
         I get occasional requests to run things in Salvos. I never realized how controversial this could get, but it seems to have caused some friction between some of my friends and I! So please allow me to explain my thoughts.

         I have never created “rules” in terms of what I will/will not include. I just don’t want to get that formal, frankly. Getting this out weekly can be a bit of a chore, and I just don’t want to make it any more difficult. I don’t have any staff. No intern. Nothing. This is just me, which can get a bit daunting.

         I date each edition of Salvos as a Tuesday, even though you will likely get it over the weekend. The idea of how to date each edition is stolen from the publishing industry; they want you to be able to buy magazines over a period of time knowing they will remain relevant. So Salvos is written in such a way that if you do not read it until Tuesday morning, it should still be relevant.

         That affects what I will run and when. If you send me an item on Thursday the 13th for Saturday the 15th, I am extremely unlikely to run it. Because I know several folks will not see it until after the 15th. And I want each edition to be relevant.

         So get me your information ASAP. Give me some time to work it in. And please do not be offended if I decided not to run your item. I am doing my best to put out a product that 400+ people will find interesting and informative each week. It is not easy!



*County Holiday Schedule
Most Johnson County governmental offices will be closed Tuesday, Dec. 24 and Wednesday, Dec. 25, in observance of the Christmas holiday. Offices will also be closed Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020, for New Year’s Day.

Detailed schedule changes and other office closures include:

Ambulance: Johnson County Ambulance Service (JCAS) will be available for routine and emergency response. The JCAS billing and administrative offices will be closed. Emergency services remain available 365 days a year. In an emergency, residents should always dial 911. 

Attorney’s Office: The Johnson County Attorney’s Office will be closed, however, the courthouse will be open until noon on Tuesday, Dec. 24.

Board of Supervisors Office: The Board of Supervisors will not have a work session on Wednesday, Dec. 25 or Jan. 1. The Board’s weekly formal and informal meetings will take place as scheduled beginning at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Dec. 26. The 2020 formal organizational meeting will take place at 9 a.m. on Thursday, Jan. 2, followed by the regular weekly formal and informal meetings. 

Conservation: The Conservation administrative office and Education Center will be closed. All conservation areas will remain open and park rangers will be on call.

Emergency Management: The Emergency Management Agency administrative office will be closed, but available for emergency call in.

Medical Examiner: The Medical Examiner Department (JCME) will be available for emergency response. JCME administrative offices will be closed. JCME should be contacted via the 24-hour pager service by calling 563-244-0054.

SEATS: The SEATS administrative office will be closed and will not provide rural service on Tuesday, Dec. 24, but paratransit service will operate until 6 p.m. in Coralville and Iowa City. The office will be closed and there will be no service on Wednesday, Dec. 25. On Tuesday, Dec. 31, the SEATS administrative office will be open and will provide rural service. Paratransit service will operate in Coralville and Iowa City until 6 p.m. The office will be closed and there will be no service on Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020. 

Secondary Roads: The Secondary Roads administrative office will be closed. Road crews will be on standby and will respond to winter weather conditions on roadways if necessary.

Sheriff’s Office: The Johnson County Sheriff’s Office Administrative, Civil and Records divisions will be closed. All other services will operate as normal and be available for routine and emergency response.

State offices located in County buildings: The Clerk of Court, located in the Johnson County Courthouse, 417 S. Clinton Street in Iowa City, will close to the public at noon on Tuesday, Dec. 24. The Clerk of Court will be closed on Wednesday, Dec. 25 and Wednesday, Jan. 1, 2020. The Department of Human Services and Juvenile Court Services, both located in the Johnson County Health and Human Services Building, 855 S. Dubuque Street in Iowa City, will be open on Tuesday, Dec. 24.



*DID YOU KNOW?  There are 373 County Supervisors in Iowa. 61 counties have three person boards, and 38 counties have five person boards.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home