Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

April 2, 2020

Sullivan’s Salvos     4/7/20



In this edition:


*Please Be Kind, Patient, and Calm
*RIP Bill Kapp
*Happy Easter!
*Shelter In Place, Part II
*SEATS Union Contract
*What the Heck is Happening in Cedar County?
*Did You Know?



*Please Be Kind, Patient, and Calm
         We are still sheltering. It is getting old. People are anxious, angry, frustrated, and more. And I get it! Personally, work has been very difficult. I put in about 70 hours last week. The State and Federal governments frustrate me. I am tired, and I want to see my friends.

         All the more reason to please be kind, patient, and calm. It will help us all as we navigate these difficult times.



*RIP Bill Kapp
         I was sad to hear of the passing of Bill Kapp. I used to buy asparagus from he and his wife, Ellen. We had many great conversations about farming, politics, and more. Bill was smart, wise, funny, and kind, and he will be missed.



*Happy Easter!
         Happy Easter to all of you who celebrate it! It has already been a strange Lenten Season; watching Easter services on a screen will just top it all off!



*Shelter In Place, Part II
         As you may recall from last week’s Salvos, I came out for a “shelter in. place” (SIP) order. As I imagined, that decision was met with some cheers and some jeers. I do want to spend a bit more time discussing my thoughts.

         Like I said, I typically try to make decisions based upon data. I think some anti-SIP folks are taking the concerns of the hospital folks as healthcare data. I disagree. If you listen carefully, their concerns are NOT medical. They are economic. Good medical data DOES NOT EXIST. (In fairness, hospital folks acknowledge as much.)

         The Governor continues to refer to “metrics”. If I wasn’t clear enough last week – those “metrics” are a joke. They had no metrics until we sent them some. And they have completely botched their use. She repeats the word “metrics” a lot, but it truly means nothing. Email me if you want more information.

         Given that good medical data does not exist… should one take risks or act cautiously? If I say, “Please order me some food. By the way, I don’t know how much money I have.” Do you order me lobster, or order me a hotdog? If it is 32 degrees out, do you walk across a frozen pond? In the absence of data, you probably behave cautiously. That is what I have advocated.

         Thanks to everyone who weighed in, pro or con. I do appreciate your feedback!



*SEATS Union Contract
         One of the frustrating parts of my job is correcting misinformation spread by one of my colleagues. I have to do it way too often. This is another one of those moments.

         Because of the Coronavirus, many congregate settings are shut down. This includes the Senior Center, Pathways Adult Day Center, and day habilitation and work programs at Systems Unlimited, Goodwill, Reach For Your Potential, and other places. Most of the people who go to and from these locations ride Johnson County SEATS. SEATS is the paratransit system for Johnson County.

         With all those places closed down, SEATS trips have dropped dramatically. There are still plenty of individuals using SEATS to get to the grocery store and doctor appointments, but the number of trips was down about 60% last time I checked.

         SEATS employees are covered by a collective bargaining agreement (union contract) between Johnson County and the American Federation of State, County, and Municipal Employees (AFSCME). The current agreement has been in place quite a while, and for the most part, relationships between the two sides have been quite good. That was not always the case; there were brutal labor fights in the 80s and 90s between SEATS workers and the County.

         With trips down 60%, SEATS drivers are nervous. They are understandably worried that a lack of rides could lead to layoffs. 

         Thankfully, that has not been the case. Due to creativity on the part of several Department Heads, we have found ways to keep SEATS drivers busy. They are doing extra cleaning – not just of the busses, but of other County buildings. They are delivering meals. They may end up driving ambulances. So far, full time drivers are staying busy.

         But there is the rub. SEATS has two types of drivers – full time, and what we refer to as “casual”. What casual means is on-call. These drivers work when they are needed. Their terms of employment are very clear; they work when they are called in.

         One of my colleagues was adamant that Johnson County pay the casual drivers during this time. And while that is a nice sentiment, it is not in keeping with the collective bargaining agreement. The employees at SEATS negotiated what happens in times of a work slowdown. And the contract is clear.

         The Ambulance service also has a few on-call employees. We don’t call them in when we don’t need them. Why would we? It would only serve to take work away from full time union members. It is the same situation for SEATS drivers. (Both are represented by AFSCME, by the way.)

         AFSCME agrees; the Business Rep and Union Steward have both thanked me. I wish some of the folks who listen to the bullshit the other Supervisor was spewing would actually speak to AFSCME!

         I consider myself a labor guy. I am a union member myself. I am simply going to honor the contract. That is what we should ALL be doing. And it pisses me off that I had to spend time on this, honestly. This is Labor Relations 101 – follow the damn contract!



*What the Heck is Happening in Cedar County?
         Cedar County government has been in the news a lot lately, and none of it is good. County Attorney Jeff Renander, who spent the 80s and early 90s gay bashing in Iowa City, has been called out by local police for downplaying cases of domestic abuse. County Sheriff Warren Wethington had refused to work with Durant police officer Robert Smith, who has a history of lying and using excess force. Smith, who recently resigned, is married to Dawn Smith, a member of the Board of Supervisors. 

         Cedar County Supervisor Jeff Kaufmann spends most of his time bashing government while collecting a government paycheck. As the Chair of the Iowa Republican Party, he worships at the altar of Donald Trump, and attacks all media who ask questions. Jeff applauds as his son, State Representative Bobby Kaufmann, strips local control away from the local governments of Cedar County. The two Kaufmanns spend so much time attacking Johnson County that they hurt Cedar County in the process!

         The whole thing is quite unsavory. The people of Cedar County deserve good, solid government, not people seeking the spotlight at every turn. I suggest that the voters of Cedar County elect some Democrats, and return the power to the people. I urge them to start with Lonny Pulkrabek, who is running for the Iowa House in HD73!



*DID YOU KNOW?  SEATS has over 30 full time drivers.



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home