Rod Sullivan, Supervisor, Johnson County, Iowa

Previous Posts


rodsullivan.org

SULLIVAN'S SALVOS

May 14, 2020

Sullivan’s Salvos     5/19/20



In this edition:


*Please Be Kind, Patient, and Calm
*Congratulations Octavious (BJ)!
*Sullivan for Supervisor!
*The Least Among Us
*Did You Know?



*Please Be Kind, Patient, and Calm
         I don’t know about you, but I am beginning to really mourn the many things that have already been cancelled or altered dramatically.

         Typically by this time of year I would be spending every Wednesday and Saturday at the Iowa City Farmer’s Market. I would be spending my Friday evenings at the Summer of the Arts Friday Night Concert series. (Or George’s Buffet as a rain location.) I would have spent a few Sundays up at Sutliff. We would have had a somber Worker’s Memorial Day. I would have taken my Mom and Wife out to eat for Mother’s Day. Grad parties would be starting soon. I would be anticipating the Iowa Arts Festival, IC Pride, Juneteenth, and the Block Party. I would be playing catch with people. I would be listening to Cubs games. I would be enjoying regular Scrabble games with Gary, Dan, Jim, and the rest.

         That is all gone. And I am finding it very difficult. First World Problems? Yes, I suppose so. But it still has me down. I am sure you are missing some things, too. I hope you are handling the losses OK. Please reach out if you need something. And please stay kind, patient, and calm!



*Congratulations Octavious (BJ)!
         Congratulations to my son Octavious (BJ), who just completed the requirements for an Associate of Arts Degree in Liberal Arts from Kirkwood Community College!

         This is a particularly big deal for BJ, as he has really never cared for school. He has always been a great worker – personable, thorough, hardworking, and conscientious. But academics were never his cup of tea. That is part of why I am so proud; he decided this would be good for his resume, so he sucked it up and did it. And he methodically got through it while working the whole time. 

The Covid crisis means no graduation ceremony, so no cap and gown, and no pomp and circumstance (literally and figuratively)! But we are still very proud. 



*Sullivan for Supervisor!
         As you may know, I am running for reelection to the Office of County Supervisor. The June 2 Democratic Party Primary will be here soon; I thought I should take a moment to make my case to Salvos readers!

I grew up on a Heritage farm (150 years in the same family) near Sutliff, and attended K-12 in the Lisbon school system. I attended the University of Iowa, earning a BA in 1988. I have held several positions in the field of human services, including 6 years with the Department of Human Services and 6 years as Executive Director of the Arc of Johnson County. 

I am married to Dr. Melissa Fath, a Research Scientist at the UI and a volunteer Pharmacist at the Free Medical Clinic. We have 3 adult children-Rachel, Jordan, and BJ, and have served as foster parents for another 50+ children.

I have been active in many local organizations over the years, including volunteering for the Shelter Overflow, Furniture Project, United Way, Community Foundation of Johnson County, Affordable Homes Coalition, Coalition for Racial Justice, UI Center for Disabilities and Development, Hoover PTA, City High Little Hawks Club, Yes for Kids Steering Committee, One Community, One Bond Steering Committee, and the Batterer’s Education Program.

I am a member of several community organizations, including: St. Andrew Presbyterian Church, Iowa Foster & Adoptive Parent Association, NAMI, Sierra Club, Bur Oak Land Trust, Center for Worker Justice, ACLU Hawkeye Chapter, AFT Local 716, and Iowa City Federation of Labor. I also served 4 years as Chair of the Johnson County Democratic Party.

Some of the accomplishments of which I am proud:

·      Leadership during the Covid-19 crisis.
·      Leadership during ’08 floods.
·      Raising the minimum wage – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.
·      Human Rights Ordinance – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.
·      Sensitive Areas Ordinance – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.
·      Conservation Bond Initiative – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.
·      Community ID – the 1st county in Iowa to do so.
·      Started 1105 Project with gift of old Public Health building.
·      Saved Sutliff Bridge after ’08 floods.
·      Started trails funding.
·      Free Tax Help project.
·      Livable Community Successful Aging.
·      Outdoor warning sirens to unincorporated Johnson County.
·      Local Foods Policy Council.
·      “A” in local government transparency from Sunshine Institute.
·      Heritage AAA Outstanding Elected Official – 2009.

         If reelected, my goals are:

1.   Continue community recovery from Covid-19;

2.   Begin serving people at the GuideLink Center;

3.   Improve Affirmative Action results;

4.   Renegotiate 6 union contracts to the benefit of all.

I am grateful for your past support, and I thank you for your future consideration. I promise to never take this position for granted!

I respectfully request your vote on or before June 2. And if you would be kind enough to recommend me to others, that would be great, too! Thanks!



*The Least Among Us
         The following passage is from the Bible - Matthew:25. Please consider it in light of how we are dealing with the “least among us” in the US today. How is Jesus viewing us?

         For I was an hungry, and you gave me food: I was thirsty, and you gave me drink: I was a stranger, and you took me in:
36 Naked, and you clothed me: I was sick, and you cared for me: I was in prison, and you came unto me.
37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee hungry, and fed thee? Or thirsty, and gave thee drink?
38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?
39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee?
40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

I think it is quite clear that we are failing the “least among us” in almost every way possible. Those of us who do claim to be Christians should be ashamed.

I recognize that many Salvos readers are not Christians. And that is fine. I simply feel it is important to share these thoughts, as they have a profound influence upon how I view the world, and how I approach the job you elected me to do. I also feel that it is important that we hold hypocritical politicians accountable when they claim to be Christians but fail miserably when it comes to the “least among us.”

I feel we are failing as a society. I hope Christians can agree to make a better effort to live up to Matthew 25.



*DID YOU KNOW?  On average, workers with an AA earn $140/week more than workers with only a high school diploma. In addition, workers with an AA are 50% less likely to be unemployed. (Source: Southern New Hampshire University.)



Anyone interested in learning more about County government should take a look at the County website- 

"Sullivan’s Salvos" is sent once per week to any interested party. It will give a brief update on issues of interest to Johnson County residents.

These messages come solely from Rod Sullivan, and neither represents the viewpoints of the whole Board of Supervisors nor those of groups or individuals otherwise mentioned.

If you do NOT want the weekly E-mail, simply reply to this message, and type "unsubscribe" in the subject line. 

If you know anyone else who might be interested, just forward this message. They can E-mail me at rodsullivan@mchsi.com with "subscribe" in the subject line.

As always, feel free to contact me at 354-7199 or rodsullivan@mchsi.com. I look forward to serving you!

---Rod


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home